do you guys remember that one post about how men feel entitled to take up so much space and women have to deal with a lot less?
This is actually a documented thing. You always see men on the subway or tube or whatever using both armrests while women sit with their arms hunched together into their laps. That’s why I always make a point to take up at least one if not both armrests of the tube so men can be uncomfortable for once.
^ again, for all the people telling me posting this picture is complaining too much.
In my college classes (and high school too) guys were always stretching, sticking fists and elbows in my face, leaning their heads back over my desk, over my work, spreading their legs out, kicking my bag with their dirty shoes. And let’s not pretend they were in other guys’ space as much as they were in women’s.
It’s so true, this happens to me every day on the train. Same with the walking thing, women will weave out of the way whereas men just walk straight and plow down anything in their path. I always end up playing chicken with men on the sidewalk now, because I refuse to move out of their way.
I love playing chicken with dudes who hog the sidewalk. BODY CHECK! Fucking assholes.
“NOT ALL MEN ARE LIKE THIS!” FUCK OFF.
“AS A MAN, I THINK THAT…” FUCK OFF.
Men always have the same defensive bullshit to spout every time they get called out on their shit. AND IT IS BORING. They remind me of those toys where you pull a string an they have like 5 phrases they can say. Over and over and over.
same here with playing chicken, its hilarious sometimes because they get this flash of realization in their eyes that says ‘holy shit, she’s NOT going to move/??? what do????’ because THEY ARE SO USED TO EVERYONE MOVING FOR THEM
when i was younger my grandpa drew this on a piece of paper,
and he asked me how i, as the red circle, would get around the two people (black circles) if i was walking down the street.
so of course i came back with
moving out of the way for them as i walked.
he asked me if i thought men would do the same and, at the time, i did because i thought it was just common courtesy. but he told me that men would barrel straight through without giving a shit and that i should do the exact same. because i was the one walking and they were the ones in the way. so that’s exactly what i do.
i find this really fascinating because this actually what defines so-called masculine and feminine traits and gestures. the whole limp-wrist thing? that’s someone decreasing the amount of space they take up by not extending their arm fully. same with crossing one’s legs, how it’s considered more masculine to swing your shoulders when you walk creating a wider gait instead of your hips, how someone who holds their elbows tightly into their torso instead of letting them fall more loosely at their sides is considered feminine.
taking up space is not just a frequent habit of males in our culture, its actually how society thinks masculinity is supposed to be expressed.
This is my answer when people say eating disorders are personal problems and have nothing to do with sexism. Women are literally socialized to take up as little space as possible all day every day.
Incidentally, my life has been awfully male-free outside of strangers and family and even those strangers don’t bother me all that much. But I tend to take up a TON of space, especially at school, not because of my weight and size, but because I’m often carrying three different bags OR carrying those bags AND camera equipment. I take up the most space at the lunch table during lunch at school and in the classroom and often commandeer the table next to me unless asked to move my stuff. I avoid touching people and can dodge touching people in cramped environments, but as far as taking up space is concerned, it’s been a very me-thing and not a gender thing.
The school now having circular tables in the dining hall just mean I end up taking up MORE space at the table, especially since I often have my computer up and use it while I eat.
- wanderlusting-for-home reblogged this from childrenmilk
- grahamchan likes this
- writerpersonisme reblogged this from let-it-snowing
- let-it-snowing reblogged this from mistermastermeetsmoriarty
- maysunwolf reblogged this from lesbianblowjobs
- katiemorinyes reblogged this from lesbianblowjobs
- katiemorinyes likes this
- patheticbarrel reblogged this from theambears
- nicolestamas reblogged this from ouijayesforyouiwill
- lesbianblowjobs reblogged this from sleepinginthecemetery
- lesbianblowjobs likes this
- mickjonesvevo reblogged this from sobeconcerned
- sleepinginthecemetery reblogged this from blossom-bitch and added:
- buildgrist likes this
- sour-kiss likes this
- bitcheslaslatinasrockeamos reblogged this from girlwithribbon
- swoldring reblogged this from soumako-central
- bridgetticonfetti reblogged this from whatsafood
- k-wienus reblogged this from blossom-bitch
- blossom-bitch reblogged this from fr3ight-train
- xanticospartan likes this
- xanticospartan reblogged this from jclaw462
- ludicrousxlogic reblogged this from theambears
- recommendedhayleydosage reblogged this from thethoughtsofmaddie and added:
- cypher99999 likes this
- tuckturn likes this
- side-sideblog reblogged this from commandereyebrowsmith
- wbarone reblogged this from autotomouscacti
- jclaw462 reblogged this from whatsafood
- jclaw462 likes this
- whatsafood reblogged this from peroxide-x-shots
- poppunksnotpills likes this
- peroxide-x-shots reblogged this from poolblood
- kibihipi reblogged this from farandolae
- sherlockedpotterhead96 reblogged this from misandry-mermaid
- sherlockedpotterhead96 likes this
- ouijayesforyouiwill reblogged this from dearnatashamun
- msamericanreject likes this
- nottheordinaryteen reblogged this from commandervictoriashepard
- justarandomtraveller reblogged this from amuslimvegan
- commandervictoriashepard reblogged this from myresin
- indulgentsmile reblogged this from fuckyeahawesomechicks
- anchormedownxoxo reblogged this from nowshessatanslittlehelper
- anchormedownxoxo likes this
- justanotherteenageloser reblogged this from fashionmoshpit
- justanotherteenageloser likes this
- stalksships likes this
- shoujoscientist likes this
- maureenimnotatheatreperson reblogged this from snowcastlequeen